Sunday 15 March 2009

What to do today?

I woke up 'late' this morning. After ten o'clock. I say 'late' because it meant I wouldn't have time to go to watch the Youth Team. But that's not the end of the world. It appears sunny outside, though I haven't actually got through the front door yet. Which is just as well as I'm sitting in my armchair, stark bollock naked, playing with my...laptop! ;-)
Last weekend I saw them play & it was sunny, but it was windy & bloody cold, so I'm hoping the temperature is a few degrees higher when I go out in an hour or so. I could stay in of course, I could tidy, blog, surf the net, read...whatever. Won't have a wank mind, as a bloke is popping round this evening for some fun, no strings attached, just messing about sexily, who I met on a gay contact site. He's a lot younger than me, late twenties, & likes dressing up in a leather skirt & top! Which is fine by me, not my scene, but each to his own, and if it gets him horny i'm not complaining! This will be the fourth time he's popped round in a few months, & it's certainly not a relationship or anything like that, but I enjoy it! ;-) You know what? I couldn't even tell you his name! I haven't worked out if he's straight or bi, he does talk about women too, but i don't know if that's just because he's 'pretending' he's 'normal'!
Whatever! I'm looking forward to it!

In the meantime I'll probably go out later when I've finished on here, & had some breakfast/lunch, just to wander, and take some snaps. It's going to be packed up town, as it's the London St. Patricks Day Festival, two days early, around Trafalgar Square. Somehow I'd don't think the once agin active Continuity IRA will be making that the target of a mainland bombing campaign! I'm undecided what to think about the taking up of arms again. I've always been pro-Republican in my beliefs, though I've got no Irish background at all. I've always believed the end justifies the means if the cuase is right, and I think there should be a United Ireland. One country, one Parliament, one name. The British have no place over there, despite the claims of the protestants who say they are. I suppose the nearest 'solution' is as now, with a devolved Northern Ireland, as a totally independent country, from both the UK and Eire. But that hasn't happened, & if it did it would only cause a split country, albeit one probably in peace, like Belgium. Except in Northern Ireland it's not Belgium. And it's just one fucked up place. Belfast is split between protestants and catholics. Literally. The people generally don't mix, they keep apart, & the other side are 'demonised' as monsters! It's like the walls seperating the Palestinians from the Israelis, the only difference being that one side doesn't live in third world conditions. They really are fucked up in Belfast! There really is steel walls and barbed wire fences separating catholic streets from protestant ones. Politicians hark back to what a momentous occasion the fall of the Berlin Wall was, ignoring the fact that another one still exists in 2009 in Belfast, technically part of the democratic United Kingdom! Granted you can cross the Belfast 'peace' wall, and there aren't watch towers to murder you if you try, but realistically most people don't for their own safety.
Do I support the new killings? Truth is, & this surprises me, I'm not totally sure. The jury in my head is out. But I can see why there are some who are willing to continue the fight. The Irish War was unwinnable for both sides. But, as far as I'm concerned, the IRA/INLA won a moral victory with the peace process. The British Army presence was scaled down, as was the harrasment. But in many parts of Northern Ireland the catholic/republican population are still oprreseed, discriminated & second class citizens. The aim of a 'United Ireland' & 'British Troops Out' was never achieved, and Ireland is still occupied. So it comes as no surprise that some are taking up arms again. I can understand why. But if it actually achieves anything is another story.
You may think I am crazy, but ask yourself a hypothetical question....if Belfast became London, say, & the British Army wore French berets, & we were controlled from Paris, are you really telling me you wouldn't take up arms, or at the very least support the (English) Republican cause?

No comments:

Post a Comment