Tuesday 17 March 2009

Seems a nice chap...

When it comes to music, and I've said this many a time, I'm a bit like an old fashioned High Court judge. "Erm...who exactly are the Beatles?" Well not quite, but music really isn't my forte. When it comes to popular music, and by popular I mean generally not just 'POP' music, I'm not very knowledgable to say the least. I know many of the more successful bands and artistes down the years, but know very few of the songs, even the ones that people always jump up to a weddings, and other awful social events.
It's not that I dislike music, I do listen to some, but usually as 'background' rather than real pleasure. My entire CD collection is either old, withdrawn (Ie: very cheap!) library stock, or freebies given away with newspapers. Of which I have three shoeboxes full, the vast majority unlistened to. Despite not having heard a lot of them I continue to buy a paper I wouldn't usually purchase if it's giving something away. At the weekend I bought the 'Sunday Times' for example because it included the disc 'The Dreams We Have As Children', which was a recording of Noel Gallagher live at the Royal Albert Hall. Not bad, considering I would have bought a paper anyway, I just 'juggle' my custom depending on what is on offer, if anything. It is a varied selection that is given away, as I was looking for the CD I jsut mentioned I also found two recent ones with it-a copy of the orginal soundtrack recording from 1965 of 'West Side Story' & 'Pet Shop Boys Story 25 years of hits'. I haven't counted how many CDs I amassed from the weekend papers, but it must be a couple of hundred at least.
I don't listen to the radio that often, but when I do it's almost always talk radio stations, LBC being my usual one, though I do twiddle the dial sometimes.
So as I say I do know of lots of musicians, but don't know them either. And tonight I discovered one on the televison after I'd got back from football. When I got indoors I turned the laptop on & looked at my favourite messageboards, with the old gogglebox on in the background. (Thought for the day: If a television set is a 'gogglebox' does that make a computer a 'googlebox'?) The 'South Bank Show' was on. Usually a high brow arts programme, but with a populist appeal. And this episode was one of those. It featured the gay singer Will Young. Four things struck me. How insecure he seemed, albeit with a huge self belief & confidence in himself at the same time. How great his voice was. How good looking he was. And how down to earth he came across as. I could quite easily have a crush on this man!
A lot of the time, when I see the 'South Bank Show', I'm put off by how snobby and up their own arse some of the pretentious media luvvie tosspots are, but there are episodes like tonight where I stop what I'm doing & concentrate on the programme itself. Not that I'm a regular viewer, I don't watch it that much, I couldn't tell you how often, or when, it's on the telly. But to seen one that holds my attention & captivates me is a rare pleasure. So for that Will Young I thank you! Phwoar!

1 comment:

  1. Will Young seems a little M.O.R. to me but each to his own!

    ReplyDelete