Tuesday 24 March 2009

Read the bloody label!

I was well pissed off at work today! I don't usually blog about work, in fact I avoid mentioning work like the plague, having almost lost my job through blogging back in January 2006. Only keeping it thanks to the strong support of my trade union. Without whom I would not be here now, as I have no doubt I would have ended my life in the mental state I was in at the time if I had joined the ranks of the unemployed.
So I will be careful what I say...
On Friday I popped into the supermarket on the way home, buying a few bits & pieces as it was payday. I picked up two bargain packets of ten slices of roast beef, down from £2.95 a packet of ten slices to only 65p! Their use by date was at midnight. but, as with most pre-packed foods, you have a good few days of leeway after that. My rule of thumb when picking up almost out of date bargains like that is to sniff before I eat. You can tell if something is off or not. The idea was to make some sarnies to keep me going as I was at work on Saturday, & out and about on Sunday. sods law, typical of me, I forgot to make them. But I wasn't going to let them go to waste. Beef is a bit pricy for me to buy on a regular basis, hence when I saw them on the reduced shelf I quickly grabbed them. It really did feel like a naughty treat. That's what not having much disposable income does to you!
So I chucked them in my bag, along with some bread that would be too hard if I didn't eat it, and mde up some sarnies on my lunch break. I used two thirds of one packet, with the other still unopened, & left them in the fridge at work overnight.
Come Tuesday morning I got four crusty rolls from the bakers on the way in, & looked forward to finishing off the roast beef in my break. I do love crusty rolls, but don't eat them too often. When I do, then, they taste so much nicer. I was almost licking my lips in anticipation. So far so good...
I started work, but after half an hour or so my boss came up to me & asked if I had some cooked beef in the fridge. Before I had time to answer she continued. I chucked them in the bin, I was cleaning out the firdge & they were a month out of date.
No they weren't you fucking stupid cow! Are you blind??? It clearly says 'USE BY 20th MARCH', which was less than four days ago! Thanks for ruining my luchbreak you dozy bitch!
But did I say any of that? Nope. I took a deep breath & thought was it worth it? No it wasn't. I simply popped into the small kitchen area by her office when she wasn't paying attention, which is most of the time, if I may say so. And rescued them from the bin, putting them in my bag, which while not refridgerated, lunch was only a couple of hours away.
And you know what? They tasted fine, I never had the shits & I enjoyed my beef rolls, which were delicious!

I work for a local authority, and my line of work is a front line public service. There have been a few memoirs-& I do mean a few, I've read three in total-from people who work in the same line as myself. I always kid myself that I should do a book on my job. Indeed a few people have suggested it to me. I clearly couldn't do while I am still in the job i'm doing. But with bosses like these I have no shortage of material! My current boss to feature fairly prominently...

1 comment:

  1. I tend to ignore sell by dates too. That's probably where my iron constitution comes from!

    And yes - I still have nightmares about nearly losing my job due to blogging too. Thank god for union membership.

    ReplyDelete