Tuesday 17 March 2009

Just out of interest...

as my memory may be going, I was wondering about those 'wildcat' strikes a while ago at various power plants up and down the country. I didn't follow the disputes in detail, but it appeared to be some sort of 'British jobs for British workers' thing, after some foreign company won some tenders, but then planned to bring in people from other parts of Europe to do the job. Which didn't go down too well, espcecially as jobs are being lost left, right and centre.

As I said I wasn't sure of the ins and outs of the dispute, but I might have had more sympathy for them if there were similar demos over here in the early eighties. You know, when half of the collpased British building industry seemed to emigrate to Germany, or West Germany as was, even spawning 'Auf Wiedersehen Pet!'. It's just that I can't recall power workers walking out on wildcat strikes in support of their Teutonic comrades, picketing the airports, asking the British builders to down tools, waving banners that said 'German jobs for German workers'...

No comments:

Post a Comment