Wednesday 1 April 2009

A fiver well spent

What can you get for a five quid nowadays? Not a lot you'd think. But if you go trawling the 'charidee' shops as I do you can get some veritable bargains. Or junk, which you wouldn't othewise buy if it wasn't for the cheap price tag on it!

One thing I've noticed in this 'credit crunch' (such a polite way of saying we're all fucked!) is that the second hand shops are marking down their old videos. Which suits me fine. Unless it's something exceptional that I want, like when I was searching for & eventually got the second series of 'Queer As Folk', I won't pay more than a pound, two quid being a rip off, no matter what the cause, if you're permanently poor like my good self. Now & again you see a bargain bucket where they're 'buy one, get one free', or even some at ten bob each. (That's 50p, if you don't know 'old money' lingo)

But more & more these shops are knocking them down to fifty pence each all over the place. Well I say 'all over' I mainly frequent the ones in Sydenham where I live, Bermondsey where I work, & Eltham every few weeks. Eltham? Don't ask! Well ok then...there's one of the public toilets in thst area which is quite busy for some cock fun, & as a bonus there's a number of charity shops along Eltham High Street!

I was over that way last week, and as well as enjoying a blow job & a wank I picked up some second hand videos. And got some more today at home-videos!- while waiting for my washing to finish its cycle at the local laundrette. That's two lots of washing this week! I've had a bit of a bakclog, & it's sunny & dry out, so no need to 'waste' money in a drier.

It's not stuff I'll watch straight away. Maybe not even this month or even year! It's stacked up in a huge pile for a 'rainy day' when I'm bored. I know I'll enjoy most of them, or even if I don't I've took a 'gamble' to see what they're like. Well at fifty pence each you can afford to splash the cash! So what sort of crap have I picked up exactly?

Here goes, in no particular order:

1) 'The Crying Game'. From 1992, set in both the 'killing fields of Northern Ireland' & 'the seedy yet vibrant underworld of contemporary London'. It's a film I've know of, but not seen before. I think I will enjoy this one.

2) 'Deathwatch'. Made in 2002, never heard of it before! A horror film, set behind the German lines, about the few English survivors from their regiment. I'm quite interested in the First World War, so this could be worth watching. Well what do you expect at that price! ;-) It's worth it because the sexy young scamp Jamie Bell is in it!

3) 'And Now For Something Completely Different'. From the 'Monty Python's Flying Circus' team, in 1971. The Flying Circus was before my time really, & I've never really watched their stuff, so it will be interesting to see if I like this or not.

4) 'The Deerhunter'. Film classic, made in 1978, which lasts for a lengthy three hours, or five minutes shy to be precise. It stars Robert De Niro, & the film won a total of five Oscars.

5) 'Red Scorpion'. 1988 complete action junk from the look of the blurb on the cover. A Soviet agent, last seen fighting in 'Rocky IV', goes undercover fighting a rebel African guerilla uprising. Presumably a spin off from the Rocky film, and made not long after. I dread to think how rubbish this one will be!

6) 'The Missionary', a British comedy from 1983. Set in Edwardian England a missionary man of the cloth returns to London to set up a mision for fallen women. Written by, & starring, the brilliant Michael Palin, of Monty Python fame, but I am a big fan of his travels too.

7) 'Glory', released in 1989. I don't know this one, despite it winning three Academy Awards. It's an American film about the 54th Regiment of Massachusetts, which was the first black regiment to fight for the North in the American Civil War. I've no idea if it's any good, but it sounded interesting enough for me to pick up.

8) 'D3 The Mighty Ducks'. The box doesn't say what year this kids Disney film was released, it's the third in the Mighty Ducks series. To be honest the only reason I've grabbed this is because it's about ice hockey, & I like that sport! I know I've got another video in this series, but not D3. I'll have to dig it out, so I can hunt around for the missing one. Preferably before I watch either of the pair I've got, & realise how crap they are! The unbelievable thing-only in America!-was that this series spawned a genuine team in the NHL!

9) 'Dave Spikey overnight success tour Live'. Not a film, but a stand up comedian. I do like comedy. There's nothing better than escaping into to laughter. Problem is I have no idea who this chap is! This was recorded at the Leeds City Varieties Theatre, which somehow suggests I won't be chuckling that much...

10) A BBC video. Of the 1966 World Cup final. Enough said! (The final was actually just under three months before I was born, though I did see a repeat of it in Battersea in 2005!

They think this post is all over...it is now!

No comments:

Post a Comment