Wednesday 17 June 2009

An ambition satisfied!

There are some things in life that I've always wanted to do....at the weekend I achieved one of them!

I was on holiday, so I could allow myself a few 'treats'...my diabetes 2 isn't going to kill me, so I can be 'naughty' now & again. Sunday night was such a time.

The day before we'd been unable to locate a fish and chip shop that sold the world famous 'Deep Fried Mars Bar', that we're led to believe is a staple diet in Scotland, the heart attack capital of Europe!

It sounds disgusting, but it was something we wanted to try, LoLo certainly did! But no luck in the few chip shops we looked at. Belgian Anorak couldn't believe there was such a snack, even after I'd told him to Google it!

On the Sunday evening I was on my own, as the others were flying back home to London, or across the Channel. I'd been walking around for a few hours, & hadn't had much to eat, so was a bit peckish. I had planned to go to the speedway, which was at four, & headed to Queen Street station, having seen a poster at another station.



Which was lucky, as I'd forgotten the address of the stadium. my luck ran out.

I was still in 'London mode' & had forgotten what a third world country it is north of the border. There was no Sunday train service on the line, where the station by the speedway was! Primitive or what?

Instead I walked about, nowhere in particular, then headed for the famous Glasgow Necropolis, by the Cathedral. That was shut by the time I got there, so I'll save looking at that for another visit. The Necropolis is wonderful! Set on a hillside, overlooking the city, my snap really doesn't do it justice.



But the real highlight for me came after I'd been round it. Before I got there I stopped at a chippie & had sausage & chips. Well that's what I ordered, & yes, that's what I got. But they automatically dished up two sausages, not one. I wasn't complaining, but wasn't expecting two.
As I was leaving I clocked a sign in the window saying 'Fried Mars Bars'!



Now being English, I was a bit paranoid about them thinking I was taking the piss by ordering it, so bottled it, believe it or not! besides I'd have looked stupid going back into the shock for one, was my lame excuse.

But after leaving the cemetery, it was about nine o'clock by now, the rain was just starting, so I thought to myself: 'Fuck it, if I don't have one now I never will!'. So I ordered one! It takes a while, as the fat has to be very hot, to allow the batter to seal the Mars Bar in.
It was handed to me wrapped, so I didn't open it, with the rain now coming down. I dashed over the road to the train station, & unwrapped..

The photos are a bit blurred, as I had the Mars Bar in one hand, and the camera & umbrella was in the other, with bag over my shoulder. But this is what it looked like:



Then I tasted tasted it. I felt like a naughty little kid!



You know what? It was delicious! I wish I'd bought two!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rodders, i've been Scottish now for 45 years and i've never met a single Scot who's eaten a deep fried mars bar. They are strictly for the tourists.

    Scotland's not really backward, it's just got a decent union representing its underground railway drivers.

    But let's not quibble about our 2 great nations. Let's vive la difference. We're both lucky to live in great parts of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spoke to one Queens Park fan who said he'd had one, but that they were disgusting, and that it was more of an Edinburgh thing than Glasgow. And i've no shame...I was a tourist!
    It was the overground line that didn't do a Sunday service, the underground was running. Though not running on a Sunday is down to cost cutting bosses, not workers power. As far as I
    I'm concerned Sunday is just another day of the week.
    You right, we probably do both live in great parts of the world. That's why it's called GREAT Britain...but I'm from GREATER London! ;-)

    ReplyDelete